Tuesday, November 24, 2015

As I began to put together this week's blog post, I received an email that a colleague had died. Shereen Marx, librarian, teacher, wife, mother, grandmother, all-around exceptional person, died this morning at 4:55 am according to her husband Max. To know Shereen was to see courage in action. A cancer survivor, she was not surprised or depressed when the terrible disease reappeared. Shereen and I were neighbors as her office and mine were around the corner from each other. After the reappearance of her cancer, I marked good days as the ones when I saw Shereen working in her office. I would stop because she drew you in. I would ask her how she was feeling and she would smile that smile and say "I am alive!" Lately, you could tell that when you hugged her, it was painful for her but she never refused a hug. What first drew me to a friendship with Shereen was having my brother diagnosed with cancer. She immediately provided me with information, advice, and support. She always asked how he was doing and marked his treatment progress along with me. She did what she did because that is who she was. A life well lived is a blessing and Shereen proved that everyday. I know this is a strange post on a blog dedicated to teaching and learning enhancement but I think it is appropriate because of Shereen's example. She was engaging, caring and emphatic. Those three things are the traits of a good teacher that matter most in the academic success of students. So I challenge you to honor our friend Shereen by using her example to make a difference in all of the lives you touch at BRCC. I feel confident that is what she would have expected us to do. RIP Shereen Marx.