Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Do you have a social network at your college? Are there people who support what you do and help to make you better? Have you established a mentoring relationship that provides you with the reinforcement or validation you may need at certain times? Dr. Maryellen Weimer shares in a recent post that she is thankful for her colleagues for a number of reasons. In writing the article, she also is able to create a list of expectations we should consider when reaching out for mentoring. She writes, "My colleagues disagree with me. They also agree, but it’s the disagreements that are rich with learning potential. I appreciate that my colleagues call out my arguments that aren’t persuasive, point out when what I propose doesn’t make sense, and just plain flat out tell me I’m wrong. Sometimes I am, but it’s the process of finding out that’s instructive and appreciated (usually after the fact, however)." A good mentoring relationship leaves both of the participants better off after the interaction. Because of the stress we encounter in our chosen professions, having a good mentor (whether senior-junior or peer-to-peer) can really make a difference over the tenure of our careers in academia.